Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Music & Questions

     I have been thinking a lot about music lately.  I used to have music in my life constantly but that is not such an easy thing when you live with another person who doesn't always like the same music that you do.  Also, we've been going through some rough times lately and I haven't felt like singing or listening to music around the house like I did when I was in college.  I've decided recently that I want to record music but I can't afford to go to a music studio so I downloaded a music editing program and it looks pretty cool.  My problem at this point is that I'm intimidated about signing when Marley is around.  Sure I could go on stage in front of a thousand people and perform for hours with no problem but for some reason performing for 1 person in the comfort of my own home is very scary.  Even if he's not really listening to me and is actually doing homework or watching tv and even if this is the man I love more than anything else in the world and would be very supportive of this idea if I had the guts to tell him about it.  My other problem is that I still sound like a fifteen-year-old over the phone or on recordings.  I hate how my "electronic" voice sounds.  This has sometimes even caused problems at work because people assume I'm too young to know what I'm talking about just because I sound like I'm very young.  I'm hoping that somebody will read this and tell me how I can make my voice sound deeper on the recordings the way it sounds to me when I sing and speak. (I really hope how I sound on recordings is not how I sound to everyone else in real life...)

     I've been thinking about music so much because it makes me happy & I want to be happier & express the fact that I feel happier so that I can remember it better which will hopefully make me even happier.  I've been trying to decide what to record.  I think it would be really fun to do a children's album.  I have lots of friends and relatives that I do not get to see very often and maybe they would like to have a new children's album for their kids to listen to?  I also have some nieces and nephews that I don't get to see very often and want them to know me better.  I grew up listening to several Rosenshontz cassette tapes that I loved, and I think it would be awesome if my kids could grow up with these songs too.  (A quick Google search to verify the spelling of the name resulted in awesome and distressing news.  They sell their music on CD on Amazon!! :) There were 3 more albums that I never knew existed. :(  My whole life I've had to live without this music that I know I already love.)  So basically I'm just not sure what to record.

     My last thought was on music that I like to listen to, I've always had a theme song for chapters in my life and a lot of my theme songs have been Jason Mraz songs.  I had a whole list of my favorite lines from his songs and somehow Google did not save the list.  It took me probably an hour or so to get the list and it was very distressing when the list did not save & I was not able to post this.  So here I am trying again because I do want to post this and also because I had other things I wanted to write about.

A list of my favorite Jason Mraz lyrics in no particular order:

I'll Do Anything
 "And if you're looking for a boy with a voice, well baby I'm single"
 
The Remedy (I Won't Worry)
"When I fall in love I take my time
There's no need to hurry when I'm making up my mind
You can turn off the sun but I'm still gonna shine"
 
Sleep All Day
"oh what a lovely day to have a slice of humble pie"

Too Much Food
"You can say that I'm one curly fry in the box of the regular
Messing with the flavor oh the flavor that you savor
Saving me for last but you better not eat me at all
Living in a fast food bag making friends with the ketchup and salt
People say that I'm crazy for not moving on to better things
Instead I'm sitting around trash talking with the onion rings
But it's much too soon to leave this easy life
Pass me the spoon. Pass the analytical knife"
 
Life Is Wonderful
"It takes a night to make it dawn
And it takes a day to make you yawn brother
And it takes some old to make you young
It takes some cold to know the sun
It takes the one to have the other

And it takes no time to fall in love
But it takes you years to know what love is
And it takes some fears to make you trust
It takes those tears to make it rust
It takes the dust to have it polished"
 
Wordplay
"I built a bridge across the stream of consciousness
It always seems to be a flowin'
But I don't know which way my brain is goin'
Oh the ryhmin' and the timin'
Keeps the melodies inside me
And they're comin'
Till I'm running out of air
Are you prepared to take a dive into the deep end of my head
Are you listening to a single word I've said"
 
Did You Get My Message?
"Do you ever wonder what happens to the words that we send
Do they bend, do they break from the flight that they take
And come back together again with a whole new meaning
In a brand new sense, completely unrelated to the one I sent"
 
Mr. Curiosity
"I'm looking for love this time
Sounding hopeful but it's making me cry
Love is a mystery"
 
I'm Yours
"So I won't hesitate
No more, no more.
It cannot wait,
I'm sure.
There's no need to complicate.
Our time is short.
This is our fate,
I'm yours."
 
Lucky
"They don't know how long it takes
Waiting for a love like this
Every time we say goodbye
I wish we had one more kiss
I'll wait for you, I promise you, I will

Lucky I'm in love with my best friend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again
Lucky we're in love in every way
Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed
Lucky to be coming home someday"
 
I'm Yours
 "I've been spending way too long checking my tongue in the mirror
And bending over backwards just to try to see it clearer
But my breath fogged up the glass
And so I drew a new face and I laughed.

I guess what I'll be saying is there ain't no better reason
To rid yourself of vanities and just go with the seasons.
It's what we aim to do.
Our name is our virtue."
 
Love For A Child
"What about taking this empty cup and filling it up
With a little bit more of innocence
I haven't had enough, it's probably because when you're young
It's okay to be easily ignored
I'd love to believe it was all about love for a child"
 
I Won't Give Up
"'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up
 
I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use
The tools and gifts we got, yeah, we got a lot at stake"

(Fun Fact: I'm Yours was the song Marley & I danced to for our first song at our reception.  
Lucky was they song Jeremy & Lauren used.)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I guess I should start listening to Jason Mraz. I only have heard one of those songs before, but I liked the lyrics.

    Also, I think recording music is a great idea! I have made one for my dad before. That's about it. And I did not do it when Jeff was around. I didn't want to have him hear me messing up and starting over again.

    And my recorded voice sounds nothing like what I think my voice sounds like. I don't like my recorded voice very much, but I'm getting used to it now, because Jill likes to find the songs on iTunes that I recorded for my dad, and she plays them. I like that my daughter likes my recorded voice, even if I don't. It must be what I sound like to other people. It's weird that it's different.

    And I think it is a Homer curse to have such a young sounding voice. My mom never gets taken seriously on the phone, and people are doing the same thing to me now, too. Assuming I'm the daughter instead of the mother. Sigh.

    If you want to do church songs, you can play the accompaniment on your computer and sing along, and then they are both in the recording! You just have to play around to get the volume right, so it and your voice are the right level together.

    Oh, and along a similar line, one of my favorite gifts from my sister is her reading children stories. She gave the CD to my kids, and we listen to it in the car a lot. We love it.

    Rosenshontz is awesome. I'll have to look into getting the albums. I sing the ones that I remember to my kids, but I have felt sad that they haven't heard the real deal.

    I hope you do this!

    And if Marley reads your blog, then you don't have to worry about telling him anymore!! :)

    ReplyDelete